Seriously, if you could walk inside my brain you would be like “OMG. I HATE ROLLER COASTERS”. It’s REALLY busy in there. I look forward to sleep because it means I am able to stop my brain from circling around like a tornado. I know deep in my soul I am a “writer” because I am always talking to myself, fighting with myself, directing myself, or having full blown debates WITH MYSELF on whether or not I have pushed the wrinkle shield on the dryer four or five times today. Due to the summer and “mom life”, I have been seriously side tracked like that runaway train in Unstoppable. I am NOT complaining. The best way to describe what I am feeling right now can be explained as follows (especially to women because we seem to struggle with this scenario more than men):
- You get a normal rhythm going with moderate healthy eating and exercise (I say moderate because I tend to get all obsessive about these things and moderation is really the only way I can stay sane)
- Something happens (the eclipse. Kayne Marries Kim. You get sidetracked with a debate on whether Beyonce is “all dat” or not, or you get sick..You know lifey stuff
- The “hiccup of derailment” catapults into days. weeks. month. You start eating cheetos for breakfast. You count the “Insanity” Info-Mercial as “exercise”.
You get my point. Once you get off that routine, you start psyching yourself out to STAY OFF because you are pissed at yourself for getting off in the first place and then you just let the “hiccup of derailment” become a paralysis of production. This is precisely what has occurred with my writing. Yes, I have been updated my journal but lets face it guys, I can’t even read what I wrote. One of my entries is as follows:
Roman Numeral 56: August 24th, Sprayed shower head outside of the shower. mess. exercise ball bust tread. difficulty “ganning”? thots.
I will spare you poor souls who are trapped reading my stream of consciousness writing, by not transcribing any more of my journal entries. (You want to stop reading my blog, but you just cannot stop, I’m like a four hour Lifetime movie) Let me translate: On August 24th, I became misguided with which shower-turning-apparatus to utilize and the detachable shower-head was pointing out beyond the shower door. Needless to say, I was on the inverted loop part of my roller coaster brain and rather than JUST TURNING THE SHOWER OFF, I took way to long to reach up (on my tippie tippie toes because I’m vertically challenged) to BARELY commence the cessation of Niagara Falls onto my bathroom floor. Additionally, my son felt it would be a fabulous idea to put the exercise-ball on the treadmill and hit ZOOM, in which it got trapped under treadmill and exploded. I will say , I had to hide my laughter when telling him that these are not appropriate extra curricular activities in the the basement. My friend of four high spirited children responded with a “ROFL” text when I told her this story.
Do you know how many emails I have sent to myself to be filed under my gmail label “Writing ideas”? SIX HUNDRED TWENTY!!! and the majority of these ideas were in the last couple of months. Writing prompts are my Kryptonite because I am a WALKING WRITING PROMPT! I also thought it would be a fabulous idea to FIND writing contests to enter in an effort to feel like a more “productive writer”. I think that last sentence was uttered out loud to my husband which triggered a “head in his hands head shake” and the exclamation “FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND!! JUST FREAKING WRITE LAURIE!”
I am a solution oriented person. Yes it takes me a little bit longer to find a solution but I’m a scrappie, determined fighter, mixed with a philosophical-debating-furrowed-brow chromosome where my thoughts go to war with each other like the dudes from that movie 300. (Apparently the latter of that sentence is now referred to as “RBF or Resting Bitch Face”, which I find HYSTERICAL because there is no guesswork in pinpointing when I am lost in my thoughts). I do not want to say “I’m too smart for my own good”, because as referenced above from the Suburban-Mom-Psycho-incident , that clearly isn’t the case. In an effort to stay in the solution, I am going to list acitivies that I will STOP doing immediately deter me from writing:
- Reading the comments section on controversial blog topics – People seem to take out their repressed child hood anger on bloggers via the comment sections. I have had nightmares of an angry polemicist finding my blog and slicing me to pieces with his/her verbal mastery.
- Reading the comments section on high-profile Facebook posts/topics – I am scared for all mankind and I feel like building a bunker and going into hiding after such an activity.
- Googling “Does Kelly Ripa Eat Carbs”
- Comparing myself to other MOMS.
- Watching the “Anaconda” video and weeping like a baby because Sir Mix A Lot’s “Baby Got Back” has been forever ruined, and probably won’t be played at my retirement home in twenty five years.
- Staring at my 620 writing prompts and saying “eff-it I just do not even know where to START, omg, Sea-Salt-Gelato sounds so good right now!”
- Taking Vanilla Ice’s prose literally: “If there is a problem, yo I’ll solve it” in thinking I can and need to solve the world’s problems, ESPECIALLY on Facebook (blog about my Facebook hiatus later..) tragedies unfold at an alarming pace in our world and I absorb it ALL.
- Obsessively cleaning. I have to find a balance between “eff-it” and “Mommie Dearest episodes of the Clorox Rave party”
- “Am I a good writer?” NEEDS to be eliminated from my thought process and from my vernacular
And No, I am not drinking.
Laurie Free has two high-spirited children, with the trial lawyer litigation skills, when it comes to basic hygiene, such as teeth. Her patient, loving husband has supported her through all career endeavors, ranging from teaching Hip Hop Fitness,
(and I flunked "swag school") to peppering him with questions such as,
"Why haven't you turned on the 'wifi-gigibyte-hot-spot, and can you find the Gravatar?"
She does not scrapbook and lifted the name from the show "Friends", when Phoebe told Monica she was "Scrappie". She "scraps" her way with gusto into every endeavor. Yesterday she announced "I want to be a Life Coach"
.. Maybe, one day it will be Scrap-booking, till then I hope you enjoy my blog!